How To Read And Memorize?

Reading a book or text and actually remembering what you read or learnt when you need it has always been a challenge; probably since books were made. Sometimes reading is not the problem, getting it to stay in the brain for the long term is. This is very common among students as they are faced with this issue irrespective of whether they are in a university or college. Even adults who read novels or articles at one point or the other no matter how much they enjoyed the reading the text at some point forget what they just read and sometimes have to fall back on the said novel or article.

There are a lot of interesting ways to read and memorize what you read and some of them will be discussed below:

1. MEMORY PALACE

It is unbelievable what you can do with the memory palace! When I first heard about it, I was a little reluctant to try it out. This was when I learnt I had to use several real-life-places in my house as safes for the palace I was building in my brain; sounds funny right? But the truth is, it is one of the most powerful and effective ways of retaining what you read.

Read And Memorize

Thus, you need to learn how to use the memory palace;  you can easily do this by watching videos of professionals online that will put you through. Once you understand the logic behind using this method, you will really like it. The memory palace technique is a fun way of reading. After trying it out I can say that what makes it (memory palace) so effective especially for me is that I was able to attach the crucial information I needed into storage units near me i.e real physical locations my brain is already familiar with.

Note: It should be used for information you do not want to forget, not some random information as you will keep remembering that random thing!

PERUSE BEFORE READING

This is something most people are unfamiliar with. When you peruse the material you are about to read it gives you an idea of what the material is all about. It gives you an insight into the theme and key things to note so that when you start and finish the actual reading and digesting of the material, it will help you remember the important things.

TAKE NOTES AND SUMMARIZE WHEN READING

No matter how lengthy the definition of a particular keyword is or how bulky a particular topic looks, it has a particular point it is passing across and can easily be summarized when into a line. As long as you have the main idea in your memory, the rest is pretty simple.

Always ensure you read with at least a pencil if you cannot afford to write in ink inside your textbook. Always highlight and underline sentences that carry greater meanings.

ASK YOURSELF QUESTIONS

This is a very cogent point, it is what students are afraid of; what they face in exams. There is no better way to overcome this fear than by interacting with yourself and posing questions you think might be prepared for you in an examination.

READ TO YOURSELF OUT LOUD

The way the brain works is it gives more on to hearing (ear) than pictures (eyes). When you read, try to actually read out loud to yourself; it will help you understand and remember what you just read. This is because when you read out loud, the particular information or book you are reading takes shape and it makes it easier for your brain to remember you producing and hearing it than just reading it with your eyes.

ENGAGE IN GROUP DISCUSSION

The best way to successfully make a piece of information part of you is by using it as soon as you can. Your human brain tends to store key information that is raised by you better than when they are told to you. This implies that when you teach people what you have learned, your chances of remembering it is higher; and in cases, you find it difficult to discuss it with them, you will be able to go back and re-read as soon as you can.

Remember, you are about to read, make sure you are free from any distraction and calm your nerves. Clear your mind before you read, it will help!